Thursday 23 January 2020

Lurkin' Squeaky Pie

I challenged myself to try a new recipe each week and now I've taken it up a level ... I've invented a new recipe.  As a new invention it had no name so I had to start somewhere. I looked to see what was lurking in the fridge at the end of the week and considered making Bubble and Squeak. I'm never sure which ingredient is the bubble and which the squeak but I didn't have cabbage. I then thought I'd like it to be a complete meal so it needed a bit extra to make it more substantial.

Serves 2

Ingredients:
Left over vegetables from Sunday roast (I used roasted potatoes, carrots and parsnips)
More potatoes, steamed or boiled (I didn't have enough left over potatoes - we'd been too hungry on Sunday!) No quantities ... just what looks right for two people
oil for frying
1 Onion, chopped
1 courgette, grated
Chunk of Parmesan cheese, grated 
Chunk of Cheddar, grated (approximately 60g)
knob of butter
1 tomato, sliced
Celery Salt
Garlic granules
Salt and Pepper

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 180*C
  • Steam or boil scrubbed potatoes until soft 
  • Gently fry onion in a little oil until soft
  • Using food processor roughly chop left over roast vegetables (alternatively mash with potato masher). Tip into large bowl
  • Use food processor to chop and bind steamed potatoes and onions when cooked, add a knob of butter. Tip into bowl with other vegetables
  • Add grated courgette and grated Parmesan and mix together (easiest to use clean hands) until fully incorporated
  • Season with celery salt, garlic granules and salt and pepper to taste. I tend to just sprinkle in with a gung ho attitude but approximately 1/2 tsp celery salt and 1 tsp garlic granules. This is a new invention so add whatever takes your fancy.
  • Spoon into a shallow dish and level baking dish and smooth out surface.
  • Cook in centre of oven for 25 minutes and then remove to add grated cheddar and sliced tomato. Return to oven and cook for further 10 minutes until cheese melted and top browned.

I served this topped with a poached egg. There are no photos of the served meal because it did not maintain its structural integrity well. However despite it's appearance it was incredibly tasty and will definitely be made again. 

Embrace your inner inventor and see what's lurking in your fridge.




No comments:

Post a Comment