Thursday 16 January 2020

Roasted Green Beans with Za'atar

Riverford  is a never ending inspiration in my search for tasty meals when I'm stuck for an idea; and today was no exception.  I have always been unimaginative when it comes to runner beans but Riverford came to the rescue. 

Quick and easy to make and far more delicious than I expected ... I shall certainly be making it again. If you fancy something a little bit different I would recommend this. I served them with Sumac Roasted Potatoes to complete the Middle Eastern flavour ... watch this space for that recipe too.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp sumac
1 Tbsp dried marjoram
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp sea salt
400g green beans, topped and tailed (I halved mine so they fitted on the plate better)
Olive oil

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 200*C / Gas 6
  • Gently heat the sesame seeds in a frying pain until golden and toasted. Remove from the heat.
  • Use a pestle and mortar to pound half of the sesame seeds with the sumac, marjoram, thyme, oregano and salt. Then add the rest of the sesame seeds.
  • Put the beans in a baking dish and toss with just enough oil to coat (I think I used too much so err on the side of caution). Roast in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until just tender but retaining some bite. Sprinkle over a little of the za'atar to serve.
  • Any unused za'atar can be stored in a jar for later use ... I added some to yoghurt and used it as a dip with spicy potato wedges.



I served the beans with potoatoes and salmon fillet poached in orange juice and sliced garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment