Sunday 19 January 2020

Celeriac, Potato and Chilli Soup

On cold winter days there is nothing more comforting than a warming bowl of soup. The addition of chilli to this soup makes it even more warming with a delightful spicy kick.

This is another Riverford recipe that I found hiding in a jumble of old recipe cards dating back several years. I can't believe that I haven't made it before but I shall definitely be making it again. I am always at a loss as to how to use celeriac when it arrives in our veg box. It can be a large vegetable and will provide several meals. I particularly like it mashed up with parsnips and potatoes in a tray-bake and made into a refreshing Asian slaw. I now have a tasty soup to add to my repertoire. 

Ingredients: 

1 Tbs oil
I large onion, peeled and chopped
I clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1-2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped (I kept the seeds in for extra kick!)
1 small celeriac, peeled and chopped
2-3 medium to large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1.2 - 1.5Litres veg stock
salt and pepper

Method:

  • Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and fry gently for a few minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a couple more mins. Add the rest of the veg and chillies. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
  • Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes, until the veg is tender. Blend until smooth. Season to taste.
  • Thin with a little extra stock if too thick. Serve with a swirl of yoghurt or creme fraiche and sprinkled with chopped coriander (I didn't bother with this stage at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment