Thursday 23 January 2020

Broccoli and Stilton Soup

I love soup and have always followed recipes when making one. This soup is the exception as I could not find one in my collection of recipe books. I turned to the internet for instruction but did not have a leek as specified in the first recipe I looked at. As an avid soup maker my next thought was "how hard can this be?"

I've never been great at paying too much attention to measurements ... perhaps this is why I'm not very good at baking cakes!  So ... this is what I did:

Ingredients:
1 Litre of chicken stock (I made my own from the Sunday roast carcass)
Oil for frying
1 onion, finely chopped
3 small - medium potatoes, diced (not peeled because I'm trying to keep as many nutrients as possible)
1 head broccoli - stalk finely chopped, remainder chopped
Half a pack of Stilton (approx 120g)
Salt and pepper

Method:
  • Fry onion in a little oil on a medium heat until soft but not browned (approx 5 mins)
  • Add diced potatoes and finely chopped stalk from broccoli and fry for 2-3 minutes. 
  • Cover and reduce heat and sweat for 10 minutes. 
  • Add stock and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 -15 minutes until vegetables tender
  • Add rest of broccoli and cook for further 5-10 minutes until soft. I added garlic granules at this stage to make up for the fact that I didn't have a leek.
  • Puree all soup in batches and return to pan
  • Season to taste
  • Add crumbled stilton and heat gently until Stilton is melting (perhaps leave a few small lumps)
  • Serve hot but not boiling



It surprised me how good it was; the perfect texture and filled with flavour. It must have been really good because my friend kept repeating how tasty it was, and my husband complained that he hadn't been given enough!  So I must have done something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment