Tuesday 18 February 2020

Leek and Potato Soup

This is an old classic but one that never fails. It is quick and easy to make and uses minimal ingredients. I've had the recipe for so long now that I cannot remember who was the original author to credit them. I do recall that it is supposed to be a quantity suitable for four people ... that doesn't apply to our family.  Depending on the size of the servings and the hunger experienced by the diners it could be a starter for four but I tend to double the quantities and there is always enough with a little left over for another lunch.

An impressive soup from three simple ingredients

Ingredients:
1 pint / 550ml stock 
4 oz / 100g chopped onions
4 oz / 100g sliced leeks (thoroughly washed to shift any grit)
8 oz / 225g chopped potatoes (I often leave skins on for extra nutrients)
1 oz / 25g butter or oil
salt and pepper

Method:
  • Cook the onions and leeks slowly in the butter for 10 minutes
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and stock
  • Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 40 minutes until all vegetables tender
  • Allow to cool slightly and liquidise
I like to liquidise about half or more and leave some as it is. This provides a little more texture and interest without it being a sloppy broth with bits which I'm very good at spilling in transit from spoon to mouth!



No comments:

Post a Comment