Tuesday 18 February 2020

Saag Aloo

My intention to cook new recipes is tying up perfectly with my stack of torn out recipes; ... this time from a Tesco magazine. I have often ordered side dishes from my Indian take-away involving spinach so this was perfect to try at home.


Fresh spices, chilli and ginger ... I just know that I will love this

Serves 6 as a side (We had it as a main dish just as it was)

Ingredients:
1 kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into 3 cm pieces (I rarely peel potatoes as most of the nutrients lie beneath the skin)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsps mustard seeds
1 onion, finely sliced
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
3cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 Tbs tomato puree
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
250g bag spinach
1 red chilli, finely chopped

Method:
  • Simmer the potatoes for 10 mins our until tender (I steam everything as I never boil) Drain and leave to steam dry
  • Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, lidded pan over a medium-low heat. Add the cumin seed and mustard seeds and fry for 1 minute or until they start to sizzle. Add the onion; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, ginger, tomato puree, the remaining spices and 1 Tbsp water. Cook, uncovered, over a low heat for 5-10 mins until softened. Add the potatoes and stir to coat.
  • Add a large handful of the spinach and 100ml boiling water; cover and cook for 2 mins or until the spinach wilts. Add the remaining spinach. 
  • Scatter with chopped chilli to serve.


A little blurred due to the steam rising off it.

No comments:

Post a Comment