Tuesday 20 May 2014

Swiss Chard and Potato Gratin

The first time I ever saw Swiss Chard I thought it was just large spinach.  I had no idea what to do with it but luckily my Riverford vegetable box came with a recipe card.  I am so glad that I followed this recipe because it has now become one of our favourite meals. If I cannot get chard I do use spinach, and now I no longer measure all amounts so accurately and it is just as tasty.  Sometimes we have it as a complete vegetarian meal and sometimes we serve it with sausages ... tasty however it's served.

 serves 4

Ingredients:
500g Swiss chard                                 75g butter
750g potatoes                                     4 garlic cloves
600ml milk                                         100g cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp plain flour                                salt and pepper

Method:

  • Remove and roughly chop the green part of the chard leaves.  Cut the stalks into 2cm lengths and steam for 10 minutes.  Stir in the green leaves and continue to cook for a few minutes.
  • Wash the potatoes and cut into 1cm slices.  Boil for 5 minutes until just tender. Drain.
  • Grease a shallow baking dish and layer with half of the potatoes, the chard and then the remaining potatoes.
  • To make the sauce, melt the butter and fry the crushed garlic for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 1 minute.  Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.
  • Add half the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
  • Pour the sauce over the vegetables and top with the remaining cheese.  Bake at 180 degrees C  / Gas Mark 4 for 35 minutes

Happy Cooking ... Enjoy.  Thanks for looking and thank you for any comments

No comments:

Post a Comment