Wednesday 16 April 2014

All about Me

I have a friend who is always telling me that 'it's not all about you!'  Well thanks to CSI challenge 118  it is all about me this week.  


To make things even more challenging this week I have to use a sketch in addition to all the other criteria.  The colour scheme was more problematic than I first thought.  My interpretation of 'canteloupe' was perhaps more peach and I struggled to differentiate with the aqua shade of green and the teal.  The papers I chose from Kaisercraft look different when photographed than in the flesh but whether it meets the case file or not I like it.  It's interesting how my layouts evolve and rarely end up as I originally envisage. When thinking about this layout I decided to use a white background ... well that worked well!  I also intended to use beads and hearts as my main feature.  


What I have actually used is jewels, feathers, fibres, stamped arrows and one heart craftily disguised as a key.  I also made a pocket for the journaling out of a clothes tag which I did a little hand sewing around.  As I didn't have embroidery thread the right colour I used natural twine that I found in my grandmothers sewing box and coloured it with an ink pad.  I knew there was a reason that I never throw anything away ... she would be proud of me to think that even though she is no longer with us I am still using her materials.  Even the sentiment on the tag is appropriate to the topic "life is out there".

The feathers are both red and yellow so that ticked two boxes.  It is not so easy to see the machine sewing that I used as a border ... zigzag in peachy colour and then inner layer of teal.  I really liked the mesh that was reminiscent of beach debris.  The small round embellies seemed to fit the theme well and were punched out from patterned paper with inked edges and the addition of 3D gloss ... hey presto!  By using punched shapes and a couple of die cuts I could almost make this layout suitable for the Merly Impressions challenge.  That might be stretching it a bit though.



It could be said that I met the testimony by putting journaling in a pocket but in fact I met it through the all about me prompt.  This was an amazing site that has inspired me to journal my life more thoroughly, this is just the start.  The prompt that most inspired me was 'Isn't this moment the most important thing'  and 'What is your idea of a perfect day?'  For those of you who can't be bothered to plough any further through my mind then look away now ... or go off and make a cuppa because it may take some time!  I made a concertina of my journaling as there was so much of it and then inked the edges in green and yellow just to make sure there was plenty of evidence and attached a nice wispy organza ribbon.  This is the journaling:

It’s all about me … and sometimes it is. These photos were taken on my 50th birthday when we had a whale watching trip in Victoria, Canada.  The day dawned foggy and dismal and  despite 3 hours out at sea there were no whales.  I was devastated and so miserable. 
I cried while being aware of how childish this reaction was. I sobbed that this was my birthday and I wanted to see whales.  I didn’t want to cheer up and nothing could make me feel better. As we headed back to the ship the sun came out and the area near the berth was strewn with drift wood.  I love the sea, I love rocks, I love driftwood. What’s not to love? 
Just a little time to clamber over rocks, balance on wood, listen to the waves and I felt at peace.  Nature has the power to heal, we don’t need money or extravagant gestures; 
just the sun on our face, the wind in our hair and God’s ground beneath our feet.
During childhood I spent many happy days at the beach,  listening to the waves, playing in the water and feeling the sand between my toes.  All these things are healing.  At heart I am still a child and I still want to behave like one.  I recognise and nurture the child within because often she  has more wisdom and knowledge than I. She knows just what I need. This was in fact a perfect day and I love these photos.  I am still a child!








Thank you for taking the time to read and I am grateful for any comments.


Absolutely astounded to be featured as the Star Witness for this layout, I loved creating it and am so pleased that others enjoyed it too. Thank You CSI!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful layout .. I love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has got to be one of my favourite of your layouts! The details are so interesting, I've spent ages looking at the close ups! I was reading through the other blogs and saw you didn't have a die-cut machine, I have a big shot and it's definitely worth the investment!

    ReplyDelete