Monday 25 August 2014

Cooking with Kids



I have taken a break from crafting to enjoy some quality Nanna time.  Our granddaughters are now nearly two and a half years old, and visiting us for the first time in a year.  I couldn't wait to cook with them as I used to do with my Nanna.  As I prepared the kitchen I realised that I didn't have aprons for them and didn't dare present messy chocolatey girls to their mother. I luckily found aprons that had belonged to two of my grandmothers and adjusted them as makeshift aprons for the girls. I chose to do chocolate cornflake cakes as it would not involve hot ovens and would be quick and easy.

As is usual for me these days I searched for recipes on line and then adjusted it to suit myself ... mainly because I didn't have any golden syrup in the house and couldn't leave the girls alone to go and get any ... and have you ever tried getting toddler twins organised for a 'quick' trip anywhere?

Method:

Prepare your child:


Prepare paper cake cases on a tray


Weigh all ingredients - 75g cornflakes, 50g butter, 100g dark chocolate, 4 Tbsp honey


Melt the butter, chocolate and honey over a gentle heat and then pour over cornflakes (do this safely away from eager children)
Stir thoroughly until well covered and then put one tablespoon into each prepared cake case


everything is always easier if there are two pairs of hands to do it

Place on tray in fridge and leave to set and chill.  Feel free to lick the spoon if it isn't clean enough!


I discovered that in one hour they will be set but still messy.  They were much better several hours later and easier to handle (for big fingers at least ... little ones will always find it messy)


Wishing you all a happy chocolatey time

1 comment:

  1. Delicious Recipe Tracy and very helpful instructions too :-)! They had a very special time indeed with Nanna and Gramps. My turn next !!

    ReplyDelete