Saturday 5 July 2014

Bonus Layout

With all all of the fantastic goodies we were given at the Merly Impressions retreat we had enough for a 'bonus' layout.  The guidelines specified it was possible if we used the supplies carefully.  Careful planning is not something I'm known for and particularly not in scrapping.  I am not really a planner and have little spacious awareness so cutting into a piece of paper is always a bit risky!

For this layout all I had was a selection of paper and the left overs from the other layouts. There was an example layout for inspiration but that featured a landscape photo and I knew I wanted to use two photos.  I have learnt a lot at the retreat about how I scrap, as following instructions and being influenced by the titles and their photos impacted on how I thought about things.  I realised that my layouts usually start with an idea and memory, then I find the photo that captures it.  Sometimes even the title is the starter and things evolve from there.  It was all a bit backwards for me to follow step by step instructions and find photos to fit into somebody else's 'idea'.  However it has all been a great journey and this week I managed to mix a little of all approaches.  I used elements of the suggested layout after my idea had been born.  



The first photo was taken 11 years ago and the second 2 years ago.  Although not perfect photos they represent the passage of time and the growth of my relationship with my stepdaughter.  I wanted to try and keep some white space (not something I'm very good at) but I also wanted to add journaling.  For me the layout is all about the journaling and telling the story behind the photo.  It took a while for me to work out how to keep the balance of the page and still provide enough journaling, so I decided to make a mini book. This isn't anything I've done before but I'm really pleased with how it worked out.


I made a concertina book and then attached the ribbon to the layout so that the book could be undone and taken out to read.  It is a note to my 'daughter' to let her know how important she is to me.  Every aspect of a layout is important to me and the title is the heart of the story ... Becoming Family was the most valuable journey of my life.



I enjoyed using the collectables which coordinated perfectly and no layout is complete without a kaisercraft bloom!
Something else I have discovered in the last month is how much I enjoy participating in the CSI challenges.  It's all about the story for them and has fostered my love of journaling on a page.  I have missed sharing my layouts with people who will enjoy my story ... hence my need to share it with you here.

Watch this space and I shall soon be back to embrace new challenges.  Thanks for taking the time to read my story and maybe leave a little one of your own ......

No comments:

Post a Comment