Monday 17 February 2014

Get ready to Stamp

I've been thinking about how to tackle the latest challenge for Merly Impressions  and I started by examining my stamps.  Shoved into a drawer they have sat there undisturbed for quite some time. I then needed to look closer to try and decide which would be useful. The answer is easy ... tip them out on the floor.  




To make the challenge harder I also decided to use the Distress Stains that I bought last year and haven't used yet.  Having decided on my photo I knew the colour scheme needed to involve purple.  I didn't buy a purple stain (mistake number one) but thought it would be easy to mix blue and red together (mistake number two).  I prised the lids off and poured into waiting receptacle. I then decided to practice flicking from a paint brush onto cardstock (mistake number three).

This was when I decided that there were too many mistakes.  I learned that:
a)  stain means STAIN and it doesn't wash off skin
b)  flicking paint means that it really does flick ... onto walls and desk
c)  paint brushes roll and this results in paint on the layout in places it was not intended

It was time to take a break ... and try to wash my hands again

 

I am very glad that I have a supply of more than one sheet of white cardstock as I needed a second page to start again after the paintbrush rolling incident.  I decided to create separate sections independently before combining them into the finished article (which is proving to be quite elusive).

I stamped and heat embossed a frame for my photo and was very pleased with the effect:


Just a bit of fussy cutting needed now, what can go wrong with sharp blades?

Time for a break as this has all taken much longer than I anticipated.  Watch this space:

****


So this is it.  The remit was to use stamps and this is the result.  It's not quite what I imagined in my head.  In my imagination it was going to be layered with lots of interesting detail but in reality there appear to be straight lines and little detail. I guess it's minimalist when I had wanted shabby chic (I just can't do shabby chic even though I admire the style so much). I started by stamping a star border all around the cardstock and then added a little softness using water pencils and smudging.  I am really pleased with the heat embossed frame and used the same technique to create the title along with alphabet stamps that have lain neglected in the bottom of the drawer for over 5 years.  The journaling spot is a kaisercraft stamp and there is a home made embellishment from stamping on acetate.  I couldn't seem to find anywhere to place patterned paper but still needed to fill the space that was left.  Another star burst stamp seemed to do the trick and then I splattered a little stain to try and add more interest.  As we've discovered splattering is not a technique I'm very good at.  Brads, buttons and mesh were the final additions.

I love the photo and the journaling records the fun we had trying to get Dad to smile for his graduation photos.  There was lots of silly behaviour and laughter, and we succeeded in getting great photos.  It is a wonderful memory and this shines through in our smiles. Even if the layout did not end up the way I wanted I certainly fulfilled the remit of using stamps.  There isn't the soft fluffiness that I aimed for but I am still pleased that I have managed to showcase the photo and give it the recognition that it needs.

Thanks for looking and any advice on stamping gratefully received 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy,

    So glad you managed to finish your layout, it is fab and love the stamped frame. Love your a, b and c comments, I had a lovely pink splattered keyboard after my first attempt at flicking paint.

    Thank you for entering the Merly Challenge.
    Chrissy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the photo, the frame and all in all it's a great layout! plus, a great learning experience, it got you to use techniques and supplies you hadn't tried yet...you got out of your comfort zone, and eventually, you'll have a larger comfort zone....that's what I keep trying to convince myself....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your layout! Mine never look as good as they do in my head! I've really enjoyed reading your blog, it has made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete