Wednesday 20 November 2013

Scrapper's Retreat

I think I need to beat a hasty retreat before my husband discovers what I have been buying today.  I have been thinking about Project Life for a while now having read articles in scrap magazines and from comments made in forums by other scrappers.  Until today that's all I've done - thought about it!  The internet and cable TV are wonderful inventions and have broadened our knowledge and links ... they are also responsible for my wildly inflated bills! 
 
Now I need to devise a way to hide the entire Project Life collection that should be   arriving in 3-5 days.  I'm not planning to scrap my day to day life at the moment ... I have enough trouble living my day to day life, never mind recording it!  I'm hoping it will be an easy and comparatively quick way to catch up with scrapping my life to date.  I've been meaning to record the stories of my childhood and the momentous events before I began scrapping.  I seem to have only really done layouts of recent events; and there are piles of old photos languishing in boxes and old albums, just waiting to be liberated.
 
I am so excited to get started .......
 
In the meantime I have been thinking about my scrapping journey.  The very first layout I did was so linear and basic and I am now a little disappointed that I used the original photos that are irreplaceable.  Part of me would like to re-scrap them with the new techniques and confidence I have gained, but perhaps they should remain as evidence of my scrapping journey.
 
I thought it might be interesting to compare how my ideas and pages have changed.  I still love the photos in my first layout even if I would scrap them differently now.  My mother died when I was just 10 years old and I have few memories of her.  Those I have are very precious and these photos show us together although I have no recollection of the times.  They are poor photos but the essence of feeling is evident and I particularly love the one of Mummy reading to me at bedtime.  I do not actually remember her doing this but it feels good to know that she did.  Sometimes I have questioned if she really loved me but seeing these photos shows me that she did.
 
So for those of you that are still with me and reading this, here is my first ever layout:
 
 

I no longer like the plain presentation but I still love the photos.  Despite the darkness and lack of detail the love shines through. I still love to read and am grateful for the wonderful start in life that I had.


Somehow even my flower arrangements are boring when I look at them now ... but look at that bonny smile.  Hard to believe that it was so long ago.

 
 
For many years I had my christening gown that I dressed my dolls in but now the only remnant of it is the image in this photo.  Such a shame that my hording tendencies started later in life!
 
 
In contrast to the simplicity of my first layouts, I love the extra touches that I used when I experimented with layers.  The layout of my step daughter's wedding is a favourite.  I used papers in keeping with her colour scheme and just looking at it brings back the joy we experienced on the day ... and the tears of course; why do weddings make us cry?
 
 
The journaling strip reads: How can you give away the most precious gift you have?   
 
Thank you for staying with me on my walk down memory lane, it may be a torturous trek by the time I've embarked on Project Life so you'd better bring your walking boots next time.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment