Saturday 9 January 2021

Pea and Lettuce Soup

 At this time of year I love nothing more than a warming soup and I am not impressed at the thought of being given salad ingredients in my vegetable delivery.  I received a lettuce at Christmas and could not face the thought of serving it as a lone ingredient. Therefore I was thrilled to find a recipe for soup using an entire lettuce. The perfect combination of creating a lush soup with an otherwise unwanted ingredient. 

No matter how unusual it may seem I would say take the plunge and give it a go ... you won't regret it!

Serves four

Ingredients:

  • 15g butter
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3 shallots, finely sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 large round lettuce, leaves separated and roughly chopped
  • 400g frozen petit pois (I used normal frozen peas with no obvious ill effects)
  • 1 vegetable stock cube, made up with 900ml hot water
  • small handful fresh mint leaves
  • 4 eggs
  • small handful fresh dill, leaves picked.
Method:
  • Melt the butter with the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the shallots and garlic. Fry for 5-6 minutes until tender but not brown. Stir in the lettuce and, when it has wilted, add the peas, stock and mint. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, season and simmer for 7-10 minutes, until thickened slightly.
  • Remove from the heat and blitz the soup with a stick blender (I have done this and I have used a liquidiser; both are effective). Season
  • Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to a simmer. Make a whirlpool in the centre by stirring rapidly with the handle of a wooden spoon. Allow the swirl to almost subside, then crack the eggs directly into it. Poach for 3 minutes over a low heat. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon; set aside.
  • Divide the soup between 4 bowls and top each one with a poached egg and some dill leaves.



The first time that I made this I added eggs but had no dill. The second time I made it as a quick lunch and didn't have any eggs so served the soup as it was and found it just as enjoyable.  I would urge you to give it a go and amend it as indicated to suit your needs and the contents of your fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment