Tuesday 10 November 2020

Warming Winter Sausage and Apple Bake

This recipe was one that my grandparents made and has never been written down. I haven't cooked it in years and when I made it today I wondered why it had been so long. I was given a glut of home grown cooking apples and thought of as many ways to use them as I could.

The quantities are variable and feel free to adjust them to suit you.

Ingredients

  • 1 pack of sausage meat
  • 1 large onion, finely sliced
  • 1-2 cooking apples, peeled and sliced
  • Enough potatoes to mash and cover your baking dish (I'm not good on weights)
Method:
  • Cut the potatoes and cook until tender, then season and mash. Meanwhile:
  • Press half the pack of sausage meat onto the base of a casserole dish or baking dish.
  • Spread the sliced onion evenly across the sausage meat to cover the dish.
  • Dot the remaining sausage meat over the onions.
  • Arrange the sliced apples over the mixture to completely cover the meat and onions. Top with the mashed potato, place in the oven and cook 35 minutes until golden.
Serve with whatever accompaniment you fancy. We had stir fried cabbage and carrots but baked beans would also go well.

It might not look the most attractive meal but it's a tasty supper which is perfect for an Autumn evening



No comments:

Post a Comment