Saturday 23 May 2020

Chimichurri

I have been enjoying bunched carrots for decades but until this month I had not considered eating the lush green tops. They have always been donated to a friend's rabbit. Unfortunately the poor bunny will now be going hungry as I have discovered Chimichurri. This is a sauce or marinade that originated in Argentina / Columbia and Uruguay. Traditionally made with parsley or coriander I have discovered a recipe using carrot tops, so ... waste not want not!  As per usual there are numerous versions but this is the one I settled on and I have eaten it every day for two weeks. I may branch out and try a few variations but I'm happy enough with my first attempt. Once the carrot top season is over I shall continue to make it and adjust proportions of parsley and coriander; I may even add in fresh chillies rather than dried.  

All ingredients are store cupboard staples for me so it's easy to knock up in a few minutes and Hey Presto we have a tasty dip ready.












Ingredients:
  • 1 cup finely chopped carrot tops (or parsley / coriander
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp sweet paprika (when I ran out normal paprika works just as well)
  • 1/2 tsp crushed chilli flakes
  • 1/4 tsp cumin (I ground them)
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ground pepper
Method:
This is the simple bit ... Mix all the ingredients together!
Eat and enjoy in whatever way you fancy. I particularly like it with crusty bread, but it was also divine as a topping on a pan fried tuna steak.





2 comments: