Wednesday 28 December 2016

Christmas Slaw

I must admit that I don't know what makes a coleslaw versus a 'slaw'. It seems to have become fashionable to have 'slaw' on the menu but I don't know why we have dropped the 'cole' aspect of it.

Needing something healthy with our leftover meat instead of all the heavy fried and roasted delights in which we have indulged I used the contents of the salad drawer to create a masterpiece. I know that pride is a sin but it was exceedingly tasty ... everybody said so! 

I have not previously made a coleslaw without cabbage but it has been a great success. The ingredients can be adjusted to whatever you have in the fridge and you can adjust the ratio of mayonnaise versus salad cream according to personal preference. Spring onions would be a particularly good addition but because I rarely have them I use the garlic mayo instead. I am fast coming to the conclusion that a recipe is basically a guideline and not a blueprint.

Ingredients:
1large raw beetroot, grated
1 large carrot, grated
1 apple, cored and finely diced
1 stick celery, finely diced
1 Tbsp garlic mayonnaise
1 Tbsp salad cream
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Method: 
I would always use a food processor to grate vegetables as my finger nails and knuckles are not ideal ingredients if I use a manual grater!  I then use the blade of the processor to chop the celery and apple together with a generous squeeze of lemon juice.

Mix all ingredients together and add more mayo or salad cream according to preference. I often use celery salt instead of normal salt to add a little extra je ne sais quois.



It was hard to get a decent photo because of the harshness of the flash but don't be deterred by the look .... it is very tasty and a perfect accompaniment to cold meats or fish. Give it a go and see for yourself




No comments:

Post a Comment