Wednesday 28 October 2015

Aubergine, Tomato and Parmesan Bake



Receiving my vegetables from Riverford organic farms means that I don't get to choose which vegetables I have.  Some vegetables are harder to know how use than others and aubergines fit that category for me.  I tend to always make ratatouille so was very grateful when my son in law gave me a new recipe to try.  He recommended BBC Good Food for their aubergine, tomato and Parmesan bake.  However, those who know me also know that it is almost impossible for me to follow a single recipe.  When I searched on line I found a variety of recipes with the same title ... so I looked at several.  The were all similar but with minor variations, and they catered for larger numbers than I would normally cook for.  I based my recipe on a hybrid of BBC Good Food and Jamie Oliver.  I decided to use as many tasty ingredients as I could and at this time of year the more garlic and onions, used all the better for beating colds. This amount should feed 2 hungry people with some to spare.

Ingredients:
2 Aubergines, sliced 1cm width
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
Olive oil
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato puree 
40g grated Parmesan cheese
20g basil leaves, torn
handful fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg

Method:
  • Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C, heat griddle pan until hot.
  • Slice aubergine and brush with olive oil and griddle in batches until browned and cooked through, turn half way through and set aside.
  • Fry onions and garlic in olive oil and then add tomatoes.  Simmer for 10 minutes. Add tomato puree and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Layer aubergines in ovenproof dish and top with part of tomato mixture and basil leaves. Sprinkle with Parmesan, repeat with remaining ingredients. 
  • Top with beaten egg and a little extra Parmesan and finally fresh breadcrumbs.
  • Bake in oven for 20 to 30 minutes until topping is golden.



Dish up and enjoy a tasty and healthy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment