Saturday 25 October 2014

All Aboard ...First Stop Kathmandu


First stop the airport toilets .... what a great way to indicate men and women!

Our recent trip was a long journey through Delhi to arrive in Kathmandu.  I've wanted to visit Kathmandu ever since I watched Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark in the 1980s. As I watched the scenes of the graphic aeroplane flying over the map to Kathmandu I knew I wanted to go there.  I didn't really think about what I would do when I arrived; I knew I wasn't going to battle in the snowy Himalayas for an ancient treasure or drink myself into a stupor to outwit fellow treasure hunters but it was some-where on my 'to do' list.  My wishlist has been in existence for as long as I can remember and Kathmandu has been on it for decades.

That time has arrived and Kathmandu brought unexpected delights.  I was surprised at how like India Nepal is on first sight.  The crazy traffic and the chaotic electrical wiring:

can you spot the monkey?

We weren't sure what our first sight seeing trip would include but we were blown away by our visit to Boudhanathe Stupa.  The brilliant white dome outlined against the clear blue sky was perfect.  My first sight of prayer flags was to start a fascination and new love affair. 



This stupa also gave us my first experience of prayer wheels.  In every variation and design I am entranced by these spiritual harbingers of wisdom and merit.



It is impossible to capture the feel of this place without experiencing the full assault on the senses:  the heat of the sun, the vibrancy of the colour, the sound of the chanting, the smell of the incense ...


We could have spent a whole day just drinking in the atmosphere but we had other places to explore.  Photographs will have to suffice to allow our minds to return.







I will endeavour to take you with me as I revisit our amazing journey.  As time allows I shall create installments of our adventure and if there is room for a few extra people, please tag along.  
The car may get a bit crowded but in the open spaces we'll make a festival of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment