Sunday 28 September 2014

Asian Tuna Broth

As I will not be able to post my usual recipe in the first week of the month I am posting early so that anybody who actually looks forward to it will not be disappointed.  I have an inflated ego if I believe that anybody does depend on my recipes but it doesn't hurt a girl to dream.



This Asian broth was a recipe that was featured on ITV last year and I have made several variations of it regularly since.  We ate this as a light meal in the evening but I have also made it as a regular lunch soup without the tuna.  I adjust the quantities and vegetable proportions depending on what I have in the fridge and it is just as tasty. I've even taken to adding a teaspoon of turmeric to help reduce my cholesterol.

I will be back in a few weeks to tempt your taste buds again, and hopefully I shall also branch out to include travels in my 'crafty' glimpse of life.  I am hoping for some spicy flavours in our travels.  In the meantime enjoy this ...

Serves four
Ingredients:

2 line caught tuna steaks
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 thumb sized piece fresh ginger, matchsticked
1 carrot very finely sliced (julienned)
1 litre chicken stock
8 baby pak choi halved (or 2 large pak choi quartered)
150g beansprouts
250g soba noodles ( I use rice noodles)
1 Tbsp miso paste
small bunch fresh coriander
1 red chilli finely sliced
1 lime quartered for serving

Method:
  • Add the ginger, garlic and carrot to a large pan with the chicken stock, bring to the boil then simmer for 10 mins.  Stir through the miso paste then add the quartered pak choi and beansprouts and coook for a further 3 minutes.  season with salt and pepper.
  • Cook the noodles in boiling water for 6-8 minutes or to the packets instructions (I soak rice noodles in boiling water for 2 minutes)  then set aside.
  • Pre-heat the griddle pan then fry the seasoned and oiled tuna steaks for two to three minutes each side, or longer if you want to cook the fish through, this will leave the fish slightly pink in the centre.  Rest for a couple of minutes before slicing.
  • Place the noodles in the bottom of a bowl, adding some pak choi and beansprouts, ladle over some stock then top with some of the sliced tuna, sprinkle over the sesame seeds then garnish with the coriander and chilli.  Serve with a wedge of lime on the side.

   It is tasty, healthy and low calorie ... what's not to like?  

No comments:

Post a Comment